Jump to Footer

Start or Stop Service

Are you a residential customer looking to start, stop, or transfer service? We're here to help. Please note that if you need additional gas load or meters, please follow the instructions at the bottom of this page.

If you are moving into an apartment or house that currently has a gas meter at the property, we're here to help. If you are moving out or need to stop billing with us, you've also come to the right place. 

You can use Peoples e-Account to start or stop gas service to your residence online! You’ll just need the following information:

  • Service Address, including zip code

  • Preferred Start or Stop Service Date

  • Social Security Number (SSN)

  • Income and occupancy details for residential start service requests
  • Credit card or bank information for security deposit payment, if applicable (to begin service)

  • Note: You must be the tenant or property owner responsible for paying the gas bill in order to start service with Peoples. You will not be able to start service on behalf of someone else.

If you do not want to start or stop service online, our customer service representatives are ready to assist you! Please give our Customer Service Center a call at 1-800-764-0111, Monday-Friday from 7:00am to 5:00pm. One of our friendly and knowledgeable representatives will guide you through the process and answer any questions you may have. Please have all the information above available before you call.

Additional Gas Load or Meter Required

If you need additional gas load or an additional gas  meter, you must complete a Gas Service Application. This application is necessary to understand your residential gas needs, and is likely needed if you plan to:

  • Renovate your residence (Additional Load and/or Split Meter)

  • Install additional gas equipment or gas appliances (Additional Load)

  • Split the space into subdivided units (Split Meter)

  • Need additional gas meters (Split Meter)

If any of the above situations apply to you, you should complete the Gas Service Application. To complete the Gas Service Application, you will need the following information:

  • Service Address(es), for each unit, if applicable

  • List of all existing gas appliances

  • List of any proposed gas appliances to be installed, if applicable

  • Total BTU (or CFH) load for each gas appliance, both existing and being added (Note: This information may be found on the physical appliance or equipment manual.)

  • All submitted applications will be reviewed and followed-up with by our New Construction Department

Download Gas Service Application

Not sure if you need to complete a Gas Service Application? Please contact or Customer Service Center at 1-800-764-0111.

If you're looking to get gas service for the first time at a newly constructed building, or if you're interested in converting to natural gas (in a building where gas is not already being used), we're ready to help. Please contact our New Construction department by email at marketing@peoples-gas.com or call us at 1-866-654-4660.