Jump to Footer

Carbon Monoxide

Carbon Monoxide (CO) is a colorless, nearly odorless gas that is deadly in high doses.

Not only is carbon monoxide highly toxic, it is also tasteless and invisible, which means that it is difficult to detect without a carbon monoxide detector. it is slightly lighter than air, which means that it tends to rise, and it is explosive. If left unchecked, a build-up of carbon monoxide poses a serious risk, including carbon monoxide poisoning. The following groups are more susceptible to carbon monoxide:

  • Expecting mothers: The fetus will actually experience the effects before the mother.
  • Infants: They have higher respiration rates.
  • People with a heart condition: The heart is the first major organ to be affected.
  • Smokers: Carbon monoxide is already present in the blood of smokers.

For more information on carbon monoxide, click here.

What Happens in One Hour?

After being exposed to carbon monoxide for one hour, the symptoms progress rapidly based on how much carbon monoxide is in the air.

  • 200 parts per million (PPM): slight headache
  • 400 PPM: headache, drowsiness, nausea
  • 600 PPM: coma, brain damage