Jump to Footer


If you believe you are experiencing the symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning, call 9-1-1 immediately and move to where you can breathe fresh air.

There are some early warning signs of an increased level of carbon monoxide:

  • Condensation: Excessive moisture on walls, rafters, floors, and glass surfaces can be a sign of CO.
  • Dead or dying house plants: The lack of oxygen from high CO levels can affect the growth of fragile house plants.
  • Lethargic pets: Most often, CO will affect small pets faster than humans.
  • Aldehydes: Quite often, an aldehyde smell is associated with the presence of CO, but not always.

Symptoms: Low to Medium Exposure

  • Headache
  • Dizziness
  • Confusion
  • Nausea
  • Fatigue
  • Poor coordination

Symptoms: High Exposure

  • Severe headache
  • Shortness of breath
  • Chest pains
  • Vomitting
  • Unconsciousness
  • Coma
  • Death

What Is Carbon Monoxide Poisoning?

  • Known as "carboxyhemoglobin," carbon monoxide poisoning is the poisoning of the blood due to carbon monoxide.
  • CO is transferred to the blood through the lungs as you breath.
  • CO bonds to the hemoglobin in blood, and reduces the blood's ability to transport oxygen through the body.
  • CO is 200 times more attracted to blood than oxygen.

Treatment of CO Poisoning

  • Call 9-1-1
  • Breathe fresh air
  • High flow of oxygen (administered on site by EMS)
  • Hyperbaric chamber (administered at the hospital)