bubble-tail pencil minus calc info-default zoom phone check-circle clock2 clock question-circle info wrench file-text quotes alert exclamation minus-circle plus-circle alert-circle close linkedin-square twitter facebook youtube-play instagram plus icon-business icon-community icon-environment icon-home icon-business-gradient icon-community-gradient icon-environment-gradient icon-home-gradient icon-grid-menu-gradient icon-grid-menu bracket-left bracket-right bracket-left-drop bracket-right-drop magnify peoples-bug arrow-right arrow-left play chevron-thin-down envelope check feed icon-savings icon-innovation umbrella icon-savings-gradient icon-innovation-gradient Flame Dollar Sign Fleet Car Fuel Station Gas Canister Greenhouse Gas Life Cycle Maintenance NG Molecule Refueling Refueling Car Winter construction cycle dollar flame-alt gas house pause pin pin-gas question-mark turbine wrench-alt logo-black

Help Is Available for Your Gas Bill

Many of our customers have been affected by the COVID-19 pandemic, and we are committed to ensuring that all of our customers maintain their natural gas service. There are several assistance programs available to our customers. If you need help with your gas bill, we encourage you to use our ProgramFinder to see which programs you may be eligible for. You can also call us at 1-800-400-WARM (9276) to learn more about your options.

For more information about our COVID-19 response, please visit our COVID-19 Response page.

Use ProgramFinder

Toggle Alert
Emergency Hotline: 1.800.400.4271

24 hours a day / 7 days a week

What is an Emergency?

Gas leaks, an odor of gas, damaged lines, and carbon monoxide symptoms are all considered emergencies. If you have an emergency, call our emergency hotline at 1-800-400-4271 . Our personnel are ready to assist you 24 hours a day / 7 days a week. When in doubt, call us immediately. 

If you smell gas, do not attempt to locate the leak. Instead, leave the house or building right away. Do not turn on or off any electrical switches, appliances, or lights, as an electrical charge could create a spark. When you are in a safe place, call the Peoples emergency hotline.

Learn More
Close Alert
Jump to Footer

Financial Assistance for Pittsburgh Renters and Homeowners

City of Pittsburgh renters may receive up to $3,000, and homeowners may receive up to $6,000 in housing assistance.

The Housing Stabilization Program (HSP) is a housing crisis intervention program that provides one time or short term financial assistance to households who are currently facing a temporary housing crisis.

This program assists with:

  • Move-in assistance (first and last month's rent, application fees, security deposit)
  • Utilities (arears and upcoming)
  • Mortgage assistance (if not in Act 91)
  • Legal assistance

The maximum total assistance for renters is $3,000, and the maximum for homeowners is $6,000. Applicants can apply for the program once every five years.

Eligibility Requirements:

  • Must be a renter or homeowner in the City of Pittsburgh
  • Renters must have income at or below 50% AMI, and homeowners must be at or below 80% AMI (see income chart below)
  • Property taxes must be current or must be on a payment plan
  • Must develop a housing stability plan with a service provider


How to Apply:

  • Make sure you have the following documents in order to receive financial assistance:
    • Identification - Driver's license, state ID, passport, any photo ID
    • Income Documentation - W-2, pay stubs, unemployment letter, letter from employer
    • Proof of Need - late/eviction notice, lease, utility bills
  • Confirm that you are eligible based on the income limits above
  • Call 2-1-1 to be screened for the Housing Stabilization Program. Calls are free and confidential. interpreter services are available in over 140 languages.
  • Apply By Phone
    • Dial 211 from your phone
    • Text your zip code to United Way at 898-211
  • Apply By Chatroom
    • There is a chat window located in the bottom right corner of the screen on the 211 website.
  • Apply By Website Form
    • Go to United Way SWPA's website
    • Hover over the About Us tab at the top to view a list of options
    • Click Contact Us
    • From there, you can fill out the form to be put in touch with a United Way Representative

You May Also Like: