Quick Tips to Avoid Scams
It seems like every day, we hear more stories about scams. Whether it’s a local door-to-door scam, or a malicious, international cyber-attack, these scammers attempt to steal everything from personal information to money.
In some of these situations, criminals may try to pose as a utility company. In light of this threat, here are a couple of quick tips to help you avoid scams:
- Always ask to see ID when a Peoples employee comes to your home. All Peoples employees are required to wear a photo ID.
- Peoples employees will never go door to door asking to see your gas bill or any other personal information. Always remain vigilant and ask to see ID for anyone coming to your door unannounced.
- Unless there is an emergency or an issue with your gas supply, we will never shut your gas off without notifying you. If someone comes to your door claiming to be from Peoples, does not have a photo ID, and threatens to turn your gas off, report the incident to the police and notify us at 1-800-764-0111.
- If you receive a call from someone claiming to be from Peoples and you’re worried it might be a scam, hang up right away and give us a call at 1-800-764-0111.
- Peoples will never ask for your Social Security Number or payment account information in an email. If you receive an email requesting information that looks like it is from Peoples, please email us at email@example.com or call us at 1-800-764-0111 to let us know.
- Peoples will never require a customer to pay with gift card. Scammers will often instruct customers to go to a specific store and purchase gift cards to make payment.